Posted to uk.d-i-y
spamlet spamlet is offline

Default Wasps

"Bill" wrote in message

Just above a bedroom window 2 years ago, we could watch wasps flying up
and disappearing into tiny crevices, presumably back to their nest in some
little void there.
They seemed to multiply and we had masses of them as the summer
progressed.
I bought some squirty things and some powder in a tin, but was talked out
of climbing a ladder to them and attempting to blow powder upwards into
crevices while being buzzed by an angry swarm.

We rang the council who said they will die and not return next year so
they would do nothing.
True, they didn't reurn last year, but they have returned this year, so we
are back in the small number stage.

Are there wasp killer sprays with a pipe so that I can poke it accurately
though the entrances? The sprays I can find all have decoratively shaped
tops and no way of poking in even a WD40 pipe.

How are you meant to use the powder? The wasps are above and gravity
doesn't work that way.

Is there any better way to show these things who is boss?
--
Bill

Ignore them and let them get on with the valuable job of keeping your garden
much freer of pests than it otherwise would be. Only at the end of the
season do they start to eat fruit and become a nuisance - but since by then
the squirrels have already trashed everything, it's no longer a problem. We
used to have lots of wasp nests, and even an occasional hornet, in the loft,
but are getting concerned that there are many fewer than there used to be,
though at this time of the year we still have to 'rescue' a few queens from
indoors and put them outside. Just about the only insect that does not seem
to be in decline is the foreign invader 'harlequin' ladybird of which we
seem to be having to eject hundreds every week! Our fruit trees are all in
flower, but there is not a bee in sight! Or butterfly.

:-(