Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Define "Normally Open" vs. "Normally Closed"

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:12:35 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:07:44 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:32:45 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

On Apr 29, 9:07*am, Bitzer wrote:
I'm replacing a broken surface mount magnetic switch mounted on my
garage door that controls a signal light in the house that comes on when
the door is open.

Thus, I need a switch that is OPEN (meaning no current flows) when the
magnet is near the switch and CLOSED (meaning current flows) when the
magnet is removed from the switch.

So do I need a normally open switch or a normally closed one? Different
manufacturers/vendors seem to use the terms differently. Is it "normal"
when the magnet is near the switch-- or away from it?

You need a NC switch as you describe it.

Normally = Energized = most of the time.
Except fire alarm systems

Upload the wiring diagram to be sure.

Actually, even with fire alarms you can have series string (normally
closed) or parallel string(normally open) circuits.

Fire alarm relays are "normal" in the energized state so they fail
safe.