Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Tapered pin or split collar

Buerste wrote:
wrote in message
Buerste wrote:
We have to replace a 6" diameter x 1.5" wide cast iron gear that has two
broken teeth. It's in the middle of a 4' long 1.25" dia. shaft. The
original gear was pinned to the shaft with a .5" taper pin through a boss
on
the gear, but the pin bore was drilled and reamed by hand at the factory
and
it's not centered. A mechanic wants to try to hit the tapered hole in
the
shaft and I don't think that will ever work. If anything, the new pin
should go 90 degrees from the original.

My idea is to turn down the boss from 2.75" to 2.25" and saw-cut across
the
boss in two places (+) and clamp the gear on the shaft with a split
collar
on the bisected boss. I think it'll hold almost as good as the pin.

put the shaft in a Bridgeport or other vertical and hold the thing with a
steady rest on each end. Line up the hole with the drill and then slide
the shaft to where you want to drill the hole... then drill it and then
ream it for the pin... Make sure you index mark the gear to the shaft
because it will only go on one way, Also make sure you ream the hole the
same way the old taper goes in the shaft

John

The shaft has 10 things on it, mostly on the left side. To remove the gear
from the right only involves 3 things. To remove the shaft and get
everything timed again is a major undertaking. But, you're idea is valid
and would work.

Get a Mag drill and do the same thing right on the machine.

John