Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Define "Normally Open" vs. "Normally Closed"

"Bitzer" wrote in message
I'm replacing a broken surface mount magnetic switch mounted on
my garage door that controls a signal light in the house that
comes on when the door is open.

Thus, I need a switch that is OPEN (meaning no current flows)
when the magnet is near the switch and CLOSED (meaning current
flows) when the magnet is removed from the switch.

So do I need a normally open switch or a normally closed one?
Different manufacturers/vendors seem to use the terms
differently. Is it "normal" when the magnet is near the switch--
or away from it?

NC

--
Nonny