Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Woody[_6_] Woody[_6_] is offline

Default my first pen project

tom koehler wrote:
SNIP

I turn the barrel blank sections and get them polished to an excellent shine,
using the usual range of abrasives plus the 2 kinds of polishing cream that
came with the order. I put the pen together, and my gosh it is a heavy little
bugger! I'd gotten the "Majestic Junior" described as a slimmed down version
of their regular "majestic" pen. Whoa! If my slimmed down pen is this big and
heavy, what must the regular sized one be like?

This is one elegant looking pen, the kind you'd use for signing big important
contracts and write the great American novel with, if your computer was down.
It is heavy, though, and I find that I much prefer using it with the cap
lying about someplace, rather than posted on the top end of the pen body.

I really like using a fountain pen, and I like this one, except for the ugly
skinny metal sleeve on the end of the pen body where the cap would be posted
when writing. (I'll be doing something about that, later.) Whenever I feel
like making another pen, I'll have a better idea what I'll be doing and what
I'll be ordering. I also have a few interesting bits of wood kicking around
that would look good on a pen.
tom koehler

Tom:

I got several of the full-sized Majestics several weeks ago when Rockler
dropped the price from about $50 to about $20. I turned 2 of them from
amboyna burl and they are heavy *and* majestic. Prettiest pens I've ever
seen. Continue to have fun!

~Mark.