Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Having a home shop means...

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
"Denis G." writes:

On Apr 28, 10:22 pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
I can make or repair most anything when and where I choose. I don't have
wait for a service truck to come and charge 4x what I can charge anyone
else.

I have a contract with one insurance company to fix/replace stuff in the
house.
A number of times I have used my tools and shown the repair person how
fix the problem. I save deductible on next calls when the 'factory' fix
just replaces a module but not the harness.

Martin

steamer wrote:
--I could file and polish the dings off of the spoons, forks, etc
that went into the garbage disposer.- Hide quoted text -

I probably couldn't justify what I've spent on tools and workshop
equipment. Most of the benefit that I get from it is non-monetary -
good for my mental health. I like solving problems and get
satisfaction by fixing things with the tools that I have. Maybe it's
saved me money by keeping me from seeing a shrink.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that I'm thousands of dollars
ahead due to the time I've spent repairing my own vehicles (and buying
the tools to do it); both the cost of repairs, and the result that I've
been able to buy far fewer vehicles over the decades than would now be
necessary.

If I valued my time at anything above $0.00/hr, I expect the result
would be significantly different...

I see that you're a realist. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress