Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 gal pancake compressor

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:30:01 -0400, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

About the only air tool those little compressors can operate with any useful
duty cycle, is an airbrush. Pin or brad nailers might work OK though.

For almost any air tool, the pump needs to have 2 pistons reciprocating on a
crankshaft turning hundreds of RPM.

You shouldn't pass up a decent air compressor because you don't have the
space (indoors), if you can add a closet (vertical model) or a dog house
(horizontal) onto the shop outside for the compressor.
That's where many shop air compressors are located, for good reasons. The
noise is isolated from the shop, and the compressor gets fresh air outdoors.

With a covered, secure, outdoor compressor, you'll need access to check the
oil and drain any water from the tank. An automatic drain valve will blow
off a little air at intervals to drain the water.

Many in-shop compressors are probably operating below their peak performance
because the air filters have gotten clogged with shop dust or overspray.

You'll know when you see an air compressor that will power air tools.. it'll
have 2 cylinders and drive belt(s) on a large tank with an ASME design
certification welded to the tank.
The little 2 cylinder single stage portable air compressors (searze,
Campbell Hausfeld, etc with real 2 HP motors) are borderline barely just
adequate (if it's in good operating condition). I've used them, and they can
power the smaller tools and full-sized paint guns, but a 1/2" impact wrench
can outrun the air output, for quickly removing all 4 wheels from a vehicle
in quick succession, for example.
That's if you have a lift in your shop.

For turning nuts and bolts quickly, a $5 twirly tool (don't know the name),
bent like a dog leg will spin fasteners with one hand. You might be able to
make one.
The twirly tool is a single-handed version of a speed handle.

I don't think I've seen those. I had to replace an old Craftsman 1/4"
spinner handle with the 1/4" socket in the back, but Searz, in their
ultimate wisdom, stopped producing them. After a 2-week fight with
the guy who answered their tech support line from India, I finally got
them to pay for it. I bought the replacement at NAPA.

When you get a good air compressor, one of the handiest tools is a good
quality 3/8" butterfly valve impact wrench. With a 1/4-3/8" adapter, it can
be used for screws, nuts and bolts. Very quick for engine teardown, service,
interior removal, and any job with numerous fasteners of the same size.

I wouldn't have an air ratchet for any price, they just make too much noise
and don't work all that well, but they can trap a hand in a tight spot
(where there may be sharp edges).

I'll second the butterflied impact. One was my third hand when I
wrenched for a living. I loved the air ratchets, too, but they were
slower and the entrapment was real. I kept the other hand on the hose
when I was working in a hidden area, as pulling on it usually
untrapped the hand in a hurry.

--
Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.