Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Default Fencing Materials

Any advice is greatly appreciated (or a pointer to a good, unbiased
web site would also be nice -- can't seem to find one).

Thanks

John

Kind of dependant on where you live.

1. I have not seen PT fence boards here in California. Posts yes and
2x material but don't recall seeing 1x fence boards in PT.

2. Regarding posts, they will both (Cedar and PT) last about the same.
Both will give good service or bad, depending on how they are planted.
If cemented into a hole, put gravel in the botton few inches of the
hole to allow for drainage. Mound up the concrete above grade by a few
inches and sloped away from the post. Or use (expensive) post brackets
embedded in the concrete that hold the post above grade. Again,
expensive to get ones that have tall strong straps.

3. Here in California we use Redwood posts and fence boards although
PT posts are also quite a common approach.