Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck[_15_] Chuck[_15_] is offline

Default Following the building code, wood instead of drywall?

wrote:
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 17:23:47 -0700 (PDT), andyeverett
wrote:

I have a customer whose basement flooded. The lower two feet of
drywall were removed from the finished section of the basement. To
simplify rebuilding and reduce possible damage my customer would like
to use something like t1-11 siding where the drywall is now missing.
It would be stained and sealed front and back along with the edges.
Trim would hide the joints at the bottom and where the drywall meets
the t1-11. My concern in doing this work is that this might not comply
with the national building code?

Thank you for any help.

You need to contact the local code enforcement people.
Personally, I don't believe it is a good idea as I doubt if the T1-11
is gong to help. It may be worse, hiding mold inside while drywall
will only support mold growth on the paper outside.

Maybe you should consider recommending cement board. Anyone
used that for this use?

Before he does anything, he needs to fix the problem. When the flooding
problem is fixed, and the wall is dry, it shouldn't matter what is used
to replace the drywall. BTDT