Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Rob[_13_] Rob[_13_] is offline

Default building drum - need advice

"ebd" wrote in message
I am building a 13" drum to beat on with my hands to vent and enjoy.

I bought the hardware but I'm lollygaging on buying the wood and
getting started. For wood I'm thinking of using either wenge or
zebrawood. I've calculated 2" as the top of the stave for 15 degree/12
stave segements. I'm afraid to proceed as I'm not sure I'm correct. I
can make trial cuts to make sure of the exact dimensions.

The biggest problem I have is that I have no idea how deep to make the
shell nor how thin to turn it. I would like to get the largest range
of tone possible but keep it on the deep end.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be most welcome.

The TV show "How it's made" showed an African drum maker who made theirs
from ash. They cut flat stock in the profile they wanted, then beveled the
edges for the amount of staves they wanted. The outside was turned, the
inside left flat.

Where did you get the hardware? Cost?

Thanks,

Rob