Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Fencing Materials

On Apr 29, 8:00*am, John wrote:
My neighbors and I are looking to rebuild our fence, and we need to
discuss materials. * I know plastic will come up, but I'm against
that, as in my opinion it's not mature enough of a product, and I've
heard lots of bad things about it (molds when in shade, color fades
differently in shade an sun, etc).

So, I'm looking between Pressure Treated and Cedar. *I'm wondering
what the advantages of either are. *As far as life expectancy, the new
pressure treated no longer has arsnic, so I'm not sure how long it
lasts. *Also, I've heard that they are now harvesting Cedar from
younger trees, and again, that is supposed to lower how long that
lasts. *Does anybody have any ideas of how long modern cedar and
modern ptw last for fences?

Also I've heard ptw is stronger than Cedar, and that some people use
ptw posts on cedar paneled fences. *I'm wondering how necessary this
is, and how long the cedar posts will last.

Any advice is greatly appreciated (or a pointer to a good, unbiased
web site would also be nice -- can't seem to find one).

Thanks

John

I'd use galvanized steel in concrete for the posts (e.g. Master Halco
Postmaster). Then, I'd use pressure treated rails between the posts,
but I don't trust the modern type for ground contact. Then, I'd let
you decide between wood or plastic composite fence boards, as they're
easy to change out if needed.

The one thing I hate about plastic composite fence boards is that they
often don't come full length. Also, they seems to be a little flimsy.