Posted to rec.woodworking
Evodawg Evodawg is offline

Default mdf trim

Limp Arbor wrote:

On Apr 27, 9:04 pm, Picasso wrote:
using mdf sheet material to do my 3/4 returns and trim on my vinyl
windows. end product will be painted white

Just wondering if it is necessary to prime and paint all sides before
fitting the returns and trim, or prime only?

Also, what do I fill the nail holes with?

I realize if painted prior to fitting, they'll need hit with another bit
of paint, which brings me to another question.. is it worth using a
small roller to apply the primer & paint or just use a brush?

Thanks again.

I mistakenly used MDF baseboard in my house. Granted baseboard will
take more abuse than your window trim but be advised it chips, dents,
flakes easily. Although five years around the kitchen floor, which
SWMBO washes at least twice a week, and no signs of water absorption.
I used the pre-primed BORG stuff and painted all sides before
installing including the miters & copes.

I built raised panel doors using MDF for the panel and poplar for the
frame. I painted the MDF with a roller before assembly and ended up
repainting them because the paint rolled onto the super-smooth MDF
looked too fake. I ended up repainting them with a brush. To me the
rolled paint on MDF is too smooth.

Try it both ways and let dry to see which you prefer.

I'm with Robatoy on the spackle. Works much better on MDF than
painters putty.

Kinda depends what you paint it with. latex, enamel. I never use latex on
wood or mdf. You can't sand latex

--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !