Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default conduit bending

Hi,

I see you can buy a conduit bending spring. Does this work with
plastic and metal conduit? What a shame the conduit is 20 or 25mm and
not 22mm otherwise one spring could be used for plumbing and conduit.
I dare say there are proper conduit benders but for one-off use, a
spring is probably the only sensible way forward. Do you use them as
you would with copper pipe: insert spring, bend over knee, and then
bend back slightly to release the spring?

I would have thought that big angles, say 90 degrees, were asking for
trouble: presumably you make the bends as gentle as possible to aid
cable threading?

Is it a good idea to bend conduit or it it better to buy the joins?
The corner pieces usually have a lid that unscrews, which enables you
to help push cables round the corner when installing/removing them.

What if the conduit was buried inside a wall. Wouldn't I need
something behind a blank plate, not only so that I could access the
bend but also to show that the cable changes direction? I thought
there had to be an "accessory" wherever the cable changed direction?

TIA