Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Insulating and lining out a shipping container

On Apr 29, 1:33*pm, The Other Mike
wrote:
(resent due to my news server apparently dying yesterday)

A shipping container that was originally supposed to be a temporary
workshop is now going to be a permanent fixture, the only problem is
the place gets hot in the summer and freezing cold in
winter. * The cold I can deal with by wearing a few more clothes or
eating a few pies, the heat is more of an issue. * Fitting windows
isn't really an option for security reasons and the trickle vents that
are fitted are hopeless. *Working with the doors open helps a bit but
there is next to no shade in the morning and only a *bit late on in
the day so that on an 18 deg C sunny day it is hitting 50 deg C at
roof level internally by mid afternoon and I can feel the hot air on
the back of my throat at 2ft6 below the ceiling. *Running a fan means
running a generator which is expensive and noisy.

So I'm thinking of lining it out with ply and filling the walls and
ceiling with some rockwool. * *Could *I just batten it out with 2x2
fixed with a grab adhesive and then screw plywood to it or will I need
a vapour barrier behind the ply?

Would an air gap be a good idea next to the steel and if so how big
will I need?

Papercrete would be cheaper.
I'd also arrange shade over the container, as desipte the insulation
you'll have very little thermal capacity. And paint the exterior
white.

NT