Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default 3 gal pancake compressor

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:27:58 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Lets see. If I triple the volume from 3 to 9 galons, it
would take 3 times as long to fill, but if I go from 3 to 8,
and then it takes 5/8 longer. Hey, that sounds like a great
deal.

If I had $300, I'd buy a bigger HF compressor, and use that.
Actually, part of the problem is that I don't have the space
for a big compressor.

A roll around is the answer for many small shops and home users. I've got a
16+ year old Cambell Hausfeld, oil bath compressor that has sat for extended
periods, and then been used for heavy service for weeks on end with never a
problem except that it can draw between 15 and 20 amps on startup.

I can drive a 1/2" impact with it long enough to pull all the wheels off my
boat trailer. I can paint with it (and have). I can even do some spot work
with an air grinder or an air sander. I've even used it to run a gravity
feed spot blaster.

I have always wished I had a bigger compressor when when doing some types of
work, but it sure is nice to wrap the hose around the handle and roll it out
of the way when its not being used.

Now that I have a bigger shop I am considering plumbing in air lines... when
I have the time and the money at the same time. LOL. I'll probably hook
that roll around to it for a while unless the right deal on a big upright 2
stage 220V falls in my lap.

Anyway, when I was a kid all the home shops and garage mechanics had a mid
size roll around. Big enough to do some work. Halfway affordable, and easy
enough move out of the way when not in use.

I'd like to have the Fink compressor sitting as a display outside a
refrigeration/HVAC place down the street - no idea of the capacity but
it has about ten grooves in the drive pulley and it would certainly
blow my Gardner Denver right out of the shop. After many years without
air, the 2CFM from the little GD comes in very handy, even if I do
have to wait for it to catch up every so often.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada