Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 gal pancake compressor

Lets see. If I triple the volume from 3 to 9 galons, it
would take 3 times as long to fill, but if I go from 3 to 8,
and then it takes 5/8 longer. Hey, that sounds like a great
deal.

If I had $300, I'd buy a bigger HF compressor, and use that.
Actually, part of the problem is that I don't have the space
for a big compressor.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote
in message
.70...
"Stormin Mormon" fired
this volley
in :

Wonder if the extra 5 gals of expansion will make a
serious
difference in the ability to do car repairs.

Yeah... the pump will take 5/8 longer to pump up the 8
gallons than it
did to pump up the 3. In the meanwhile, your pressure is
low for longer
than it would have been before.

Buy an Emglo (by DeWalt), and you won't need another $35 HF
rip-off. And
it will cut back in at a pressure your tools can still use.
You might
not _ever_ be out of air unless you're using a big D/A
sander or a sand-
blaster.

But then, you probably paid only about $100-$150 less from
HF than you
would have from a decent tool dealer for an Emglo. I got my
3-gal two-
sausage Emglo for $350, out the door. It handles everything
I need in a
portable, runs acceptably on a 12-ga 50' extension cord
(because it has a
head-relief valve -- although you can hear it struggle a bit
on an
extension, until the motor comes up to speed), and is
actually
"portable" if I limp a little carrying it ('bout 90lb) G.

I've had it for eight years, and use the hell out of it.
It, like the
Chinalloy 4x6 bandsaw I bought, is one of the best buys I
ever made.
Hell, the motor and pump are even repairable and replacable.
Try that on
the "make believe 3HP" Chinese rip-alikes.

LLoyd