Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default 3 gal pancake compressor

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4bd78c80$0
:

but for occasional home use, the larger
HF unit would probably be fine.

Pete, did you miss the part where Stormy was complaining that it _didn't_
meet his "occasional home use" needs?

"it's OK for airing up
tires. Or inflating basketballs. As to air tools, it only
powers the tools for a couple seconds, and then the recovery
time is a bit long."

He's indicating that he is trying to power continuous air tools with it,
something it is not designed to do. A couple seconds of operation would
be for something like an air die grinder or drill, something that no
"pancake" compressor is intended to power.

C'mon. I've been given a few burnt-out chinese compressors. Their "5-
hp" motors are barely 1/2HP, equipped with motors the size of my fist,
designed to last a few weeks past warrantee, then blow up.

Probably burnt out by continuous operation trying to keep up with people
who are misusing them.

If not for anything else, the repairability of the better-named units is
what I'd go after. If I have to buy a new compressor every two years,
what's the diff if I just spring for the 5-year replacement price, and it
lasts 15?

Like I said, if I was a contractor using the thing daily I'd want an
Emglo or the like. The HF compressors are just fine for weekend home use
if used within their ratings.