Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default 3 gal pancake compressor

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I got a 3 gal compressor from HF, and it's OK for airing up
tires. Or inflating basketballs. As to air tools, it only
powers the tools for a couple seconds, and then the recovery
time is a bit long.

Been considering rig up a manifold, so I can also inflate a
5 gal expansion tank, which I got years ago. That way, I can
run the pressure up for a longer time, before I really get
down and start wrenching. I'd love to have a 40 gal water
heater for expansion tank, but no place to put one.

Wonder if the extra 5 gals of expansion will make a serious
difference in the ability to do car repairs.

It would but only if the compressor developed more CFM. The small
pancake units are not intended for use with constant flow air tools like
impacts are sanders. They are meant for air nailers and impulse use tools.

For a tool like an air ratchet or sander or high flow tools like
blasters and spray guns you want a high CFM unit with a bigger tank.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)