Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Fixing a pool Solar Panel

On Apr 26, 1:16*pm, John wrote:
On Apr 26, 12:31*pm, wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:19:54 -0700 (PDT), ransley

wrote:
On Apr 26, 8:54*am, John wrote:
I have a leak in one of my solar panels for my pool. *While I will
need to replace the panels in a few years, I'd like to keep them for
another year or two before replacing them. *The problem is that water
travels through the panels under pressure, so I'm thinking that a dab
of caulking would get blown out pretty fast... *The panels themselves
are pretty old (I would estimate around 12+ years), so I'm not sure
what will adhere to them. *If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear
them.

Thanks

John

I repaired my auto radiators plastic top 5 years ago with epoxy its
under 16lb, 190-200f or so pressure and heat. Fish tanks are under
pressure and held together with silicone adhesive. Auto parts stores
sell a varity of *silicone sealants by maybe Dow. Expoxy may be best
but a fitting may just be loose after 12 years. Key is a clean surface
for a good bond for whatever you use.

Bear in mind that Epoxy won't hold up to UV exposure.

Which brings me to my next points of question -- how do you best prep
a 12 year old rubbery solar panel so glue will stick to it, and can
Shoe Goo or epoxy withstand Water and Chlorine? *(I'm also considering
a bicycle tire repair kit...)

Right now the plan is to use a small drill to make the hole bigger,
insert the glue into the housing (I don't care if I clog that
particular part of the panel), cover it with a black rubber patch, and
glue that patch directly to the panel. *That way, at least there's no
UV to worry about.
John- Hide quoted text -

You didnt say its rubbery, epoxy needs a hard clean surface, tire
repair kit is just contact cement, I would go the Dow auto sealant
route and clean with laquer thinner.