Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Soil Compactor Bit?

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:29:58 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

I've worked with the 70 lb. demo hammers and I agree they would be stellar
performers in that role. I'm just not willing to work that hard for that
level of performance.

Grok that. I've had folks wanting me to use their tiny front-wheeled
rototillers on their half acre gardens and I immediately tell them "I
don't do that kind of work. Sorry!"

What I am doing now appears to be sufficient. That is, I'm compacting soil
by spearing it with the flat end of a 8' 2x4. Each strike appears to push
about 1/2" of air out of the soil. So I backfill and ram, then backfill some
more than ram some more until the bottom of the hole is 'at grade'.
The soil thus compacted maintains its shape very well when I dig the new
post hole and offers very similar resistance as does the surrounding
undisturbed soil.

Why aren't you flippin' drill pipe down those old holes with a
backhoe and dropping in steel fence posts for longer life and easier
replacement, Winnie?

--
Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.