Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Economy and garage sales

There has been a significant decline in local garage sales both in their
number and in the quality of the stuff available compared with previous
years. Is this happening elsewhere?

I would agree that the number and quality of garage sales has declined, but
an educated picker can still do okay. I went to look at some corrugated
steel today, thirty pieces ten feet long for $3 each, and ended up with
that, a Dexter two drum washing machine, a heavy drum cement mixer made out
of old cast, two RR ties, and a 16' telephone pole for $200.

The Dexter goes for $250 on ebay. We're going to use it for an ice tub for
drinks on the patio when it doesn't have potted plants in it. Will go get
it Friday. The damn thing looks so good it might even work, and then I will
have to decide if I want to put it on the market for $300.

Also picked up a 2004 Polaris 400 Sportsman with 804 miles on it. The camo
one with the racks. $2500. Put that puppy on the back of my truck and
brought it home.

Deals are out there, and I got these by placing WANTED ads. You get the
people before they put it on the market, because when they do, if you're not
the first one there, you miss it.

A few weeks ago, a relative wanted us to buy some antiques for Gilley's
restaurant in Las Vegas. We ran around and located several thousand dollars
of cowboy stuff for them. Believe me, there are still lots of deals out
there, and people are soft on prices. Very soft. Very, very, soft. Cash
in hand talks. People listen.

HTH

Steve

Steve