Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Soil Compactor Bit?

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:49:59 -0700, Winston wrote:

On 4/24/2010 7:30 PM, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
THey have spoons and digging equipment for those that only hammer.
I have a drill/hammer or drill. Rats.

My 1/2" SDS Plus is a beautiful electronic brake and powerful machine.

My landscape contractor borrowed my chipping hammer to do some
foundation trimming. He wanted me to give it to him at the end
of the project.

But like you, I needed a hammer only.

Rats.

Go ahead - Don't make it very big - smaller flat goes in deeper.

Additionally, (as I have learned) the distance between chuck and
the soil must be *very short* so that the largest possible amount
of power couples, rather than be dissipated in the tamper
itself.

Now I'm looking for an 'extension handle' to put the
chipping hammer in the hole while I am comfortably standing.

Thanks!

--Winston

I have a feeling that you would do better with a demolition hammer/road drill
rather than an SDS based tool. If it's got 1 1/8" hex bits it'll manage soil
compaction. SDS just isn't big enough.

I would be surprised if the DIY sheds/Wallyworld don't occasionally carry
them.

The one I got here in the UK is quite happy breaking up 7" concrete, although
I haven't had need to fit a tamper bit on it yet.

Mark Rand
RTFM