Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11457 Ignoramus11457 is offline

Default OT Document download services - scam?

Most download sites are outright scams, they do not have the content
that thy advertise as available. They just want you to sign up.

On 2010-04-27, anorton wrote:

wrote in message
I am interested in downloading a text book instead of buying it.
Having been unemployed for 7 of the past 12 months and just back to
work, money is tight and buying the book will set me back $97+$4
shipping (for a used text book). THere are several download sites
that list it. These sites charge a fee - appears to be a monthly fee
- I just need a one time download (atleast until next semester).
Names of some of the sites a Downloadcave.com, Downtr.com,
Rapidog.com, Prime-download.com. Is this kind of like joining a book
or "record" (CD) club where once joined it is difficult to unjoin
without cancelling a credit card? Advice/experiences solicited. TIA

Downloadcave.com, Prime-download.com, and downtr.net are blatantly
advertising copyrighted material to illegally download, so it is highly
likely they are complete scams. Rapidog is just an different interface to
rapidshare which is like a lot of peer-to-peer file swapping services, but
several of these are free so you might look into those. Keep in mind
anything you download from a file swapping service could be a virus. Also
keep in mind that these services by default usually make a portion of your
hard drive searchable by every one else including the RIAA who likes to sue
people.