Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default Big hole, little press

Glenn Lyford wrote:
My drill press is a small bench mount Delta, with a 1/4hp motor, two
inch plunge depth, and a 1/2 inch chuck. My first thought is to use
a Silver and Demming (reduced shank) drill bit, 1/2" shank, 1" drill.

Others have addressed the bit, and there has been passing reference to
gearing down the drill press.

Here's how I did that for mine:
http://home.comcast.net/~glyford/js/js.htm

This old article did something similar:
http://www.projectsplans.com/downloa...rill_press.pdf

I also second the recommendation for either a vise or clamps. If not
using a vise, a block or piece of angle clamped to the table may help
keep your distance in from the edge of the 3x3 consistent, only
requiring you to slide it axially for each hole to line up your next
mark under the bit--as long as your table doesn't swing around the
column on you, such as might happen if the bit jams.

Wow, thanks Glen, those are two very ingenious solutions! I really like the
way yours turned out.

I will definitely be making a secure jig for this operation; I don't want to
get caught up in an eight-foot rotor!

Jon