Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED bulb: 17 Years, $50.00

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:59:12 +0000 (UTC), (Don Klipstein)
wrote:

In ,
zz wrote:
On 25 Apr 2010 06:22:47 +0 UTC,
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

snip repetitive stuff

My house isn't in Philadelphia, or Houston (but about 300 miles from NOLA).
Between 9:00 and 11:00 I doubt that I ever have a light on for more than five
minutes.

That sounds to me like you go to bed to sleep for the night by 9 PM.

Can't you read? We generally watch television (or are online) during that
time. No lights required. Plasma and LCD screens put out plenty of light so
we don't (often) trip on the cats (they do like to lie in the middle of the
floor).

It does appear to me that an American needing to have only one light in
the house to be on and only on for 5 minutes between 9 and 11 PM is even
more uncommon than an American household that can halve its electric bill
by replacing incandescents with CFLs.

I thought you said you halved your bill with only CFLs.

Well, we leave the porch lights on (not candidates for CFLs, if I
did like them) if we're gone.

I know of some CFLs that are good for porch lights. The Philips SL/O,
or whatever they call them now and maybe now only available from Home
Depot in 15 watt wattage, do well. My mother uses those for porch lights,
and they usually last more than a year running all night every night and
through many days.

Nope, the porch lights are cans and the garage lights are decorative, as are
all the interior lights with the exception of a two table lamps. No CFLs need
apply.