Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Fixing a pool Solar Panel

Ours are vertical parallel tubes about 1/4" in diameter, fed from
a manifold up to another. They are joined, but the tubing can be
easily identified. To repair most leaks in a tube, just cut the
tube where it enters the lower and upper manifold, then insert a
Hex head screw into the small tube stub, coated liberally with
silicone sealer. Some folk insert the screw first into a suitably
sized "O" ring, but if the cut is square and you use enough
silicone, your're OK. Give it a day to cure and the repair is
permanent.
Nonny

wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:19:54 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Apr 26, 8:54 am, John wrote:
I have a leak in one of my solar panels for my pool. While I
will
need to replace the panels in a few years, I'd like to keep
them for
another year or two before replacing them. The problem is
that water
travels through the panels under pressure, so I'm thinking
that a dab
of caulking would get blown out pretty fast... The panels
themselves
are pretty old (I would estimate around 12+ years), so I'm not
sure
what will adhere to them. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love
to hear
them.

Thanks

John

I repaired my auto radiators plastic top 5 years ago with epoxy
its
under 16lb, 190-200f or so pressure and heat. Fish tanks are
under
pressure and held together with silicone adhesive. Auto parts
stores
sell a varity of silicone sealants by maybe Dow. Expoxy may be
best
but a fitting may just be loose after 12 years. Key is a clean
surface
for a good bond for whatever you use.

Bear in mind that Epoxy won't hold up to UV exposure.

--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

-Mark Twain