Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Winterburn Doug Winterburn is offline

Default Anyone use Ichthammol ointment for removing slinter / sliver?

Swingman wrote:
On 4/26/2010 6:20 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 26, 6:23 pm, "Lew wrote:
Subject

When I was a kid, the stuff was known as "drawing salve".

Lew

Wow, they had that back then already?
.
.
.
.
gdr

Hell, it was on the same shelf with Hadacol.

We used various combinations of a fresh piece of egg shell, soaking the
splinter finger in white vinegar, or a poultice of white bread boiled in
milk, to do any splinter "drawing".

Amazing what country folk did in the way of "health care" in the late
forties and fifties.

Treat a burn with egg white.

Stop a cut from bleeding by coating in fresh coffee grounds.

The one I really hated was the daily dose of cod liver oil - Mom lined
us up and pulled each little nose up to get the mouth opened and shoved
a spoonful of that crap in.