Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Soil Compactor Bit?

"Winston" wrote in message
On 4/21/2010 10:35 PM, RAM³ wrote:
wrote in
:

I Googled unsuccessfully.

I want to snap a "SDS plus" 'soil tamper' bit into my Bosch
Chipping Hammer to compact soil as I fill old post holes.

(...)

Don't use too short a chunk of pipe.

One end should be on the ground while the finished combination has the
hammer at your waist level.

Hopefully this will let you work standing up straight.

Yup, that is the plan.

I want to balance 'ease of use' with wear on my chipping hammer.

Mass is going to be an issue.
I wonder if steel 'rigid metal conduit' would make a better 'pipe' than
plain black pipe, considering weight and the ability to use a larger
diameter, boosting crumpling resistance.

I think I just convinced myself there.

--Winston

--

Gary was a liar, a thief, a scoundrel and a psychologist.
He was the most redundant man I ever met.

Winston,

I too want to build a 'small area' compactor for my hammer drill. Would
sure like to learn from your experience. Are you done yet? Have you built
one? Are you happy with it?

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary