Posted to alt.home.repair
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Some say tomato

On Apr 26, 11:10*am, Smitty Two wrote:
Speaking of Stihl, I wonder how y'all pronounce it? I was thinking
"stile" or "steel," but when I went to buy one of their products, the
guys at the dealer said it was "still." But yesterday I watched an
online video produced by the company and the fellow was saying "steel."

I googled "how do you pronounce Stihl" and found a few thoughts:

"1. The company named "Stihl" says "Steel".

2. The name "Stihl" isn't a conventional German word.

3. If the name was German, it would be spelt "Steihl".

4. If you were German, you'd pronouce it "schteel".

5. Again, if you were German, you wouldn't pronouce anything as
"still".

So, in the end nothing is correct. I say "steel" because that's the
most logical. The fact that company says that is a plus, too. The
dealer seems to use "steel". The use of "still" is mass North American
confusion."

And another variation:

"another common one i have heard is "stall" i guess that came from the
familys expierence wiht stihls"

Which was answered by:

"There's perfect logic behind that. German for steel, the metal, is
"stahl". Pronounced "schtall" if you you want to get fancy. "

I refer to mine as a "steel".

Paul