Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default LED bulb: 17 Years, $50.00

In , zzz wrote:
On 24 Apr 2010 05:28:31 +0 UTC,
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

In ,
keith wrote in part:
On Apr 23, 7:19*am, Tegger wrote:

SNIP to here

Well, that's part of the point. Generally speaking, when I need my
bulbs, the A/C is off. When I need my A/C, the bulbs are off.

Our heat pumps will "run" seven or eight months a year... When in use
they don't often get shut down at night (though the thermostat will
cycle).

Moreover, in the winter, when the need for the bulbs is greatest, the
heat from the bulbs reduces the need for the furnace, so my gas bill is
lower.

Yep.

It costs about half as much to heat a home with a heat pump as it does
with resistive heating. And in most areas, it costs less to heat a home
with gas or oil than it does with resistive heating.

The "half as much" applies to a small outside temperature band where
less heat is actually needed.

You call that temperature band small. That temperature band appears
to me to include nearly all heating on the Pacific Coast from San
Francisco to 49 degrees N latitude. It also appears to me to be wide
enough to include both long-term year-round average temperature and
long-term average temperature of January alone for all of USA's "Northeast
Corrider" from Washington DC to Boston including the suburbs.

Yes, that drops the cost of the "wasted" incandescent
electricity by "50%" instead of 100% and a similar amount with other heat
sources.

To me, use of home heating other than resistive electric heat increases
the home heating cost of using energy-efficient lighting from 0% to 50%
of the electricity savings.

Something the CFL idiots never take into account. That still
doesn't get us to "ransley's" 50% electricity savings he's trying to tell us
that is somehow "normal".

Can you tell us how he claimed that was "normal" as opposed to "can be
done"? I am aware that changing to energy-efficient lighting can reduce
the electric bills of some homes by 50% (I have done that), and that in
most homes the savings from doing so are smaller.

And we follow the ancient (and apparently forgotten) precept of turning
the lights off when we leave a room, so there are few bulbs left on
regularly. With incandescents, I can do that. Snap, it's on. Snap, it's
off. No waiting.

Perzactly! The average bulb in our house is likely on for 2 minutes
per day with only the bathroom lights on for anything close to an hour
per day. CFLs really suck in our application; won't have them.

What? No need for lighting for long outside a bathroom in a house in a
location that needs heat 7-8 months out of the year?

It's time for you to try thinking, Don. Heat pumps are not only used in
heating season.

Do you mean how some of them can be "reversed" to be used for cooling to
negate need for separate air conditioning units? Or are you talking about
heating outside of "heating season"?

Can you tell me better how my thinking is insufficient for questioning
lack of need for lighting for long outside of bathrooms in homes when heat
is not needed?

SNIP from here

Use a proper sig separator.

OK, if you want to bitch me out about that...

--
- Don Klipstein )