Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Mary's home

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:30:47 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

*raw spinach salad with vidalia onion and sliced strawberries, dressed
with poppyseed dressing

Yum, onions with strawberries! gag

Sounds like you're averse to onions in general, burp. Roger that! We
all have our various aversions. Mary is averse to garlic in more than
miniscule amounts, I'm averse to the use of sherry in food. I like a
glass of sherry but don't like it at all in clam chowder or chicken
ala king. Urp retch barf gag level of dislike.

Vidalia onions are nothing like yellow onions used in cooking real
food and infusing a household with wonderful aroma of supper to be
anticipated, definitely beating the stink of boiled cabbage from the
bad old days. They're very mild and sweet, can be eaten like apples.
They're too mild to be any good as raw slices on burgers but they do
provide a bit of tang, texture and crisp crunch to a salad for we who
can gag down a salad now and then. The big Texas sweets are much
better as thick raw slices on burgers for the not-onion-averse.

It's like vinegar. Really good, aged Balsamic vinegar bears no
resemblance to everyday cider or wine vinegar. Some have used it as a
dressing on ice cream. I've not found aged genuine balsamic here but
it's readily available in the UK, even at Tesco, if one's Visa is up
for the jolt. It's worth it. A vinaigrette made with this stuff is
indescribable, not found in any restaurant here or abroad that I've
ever been willing to afford.