Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Shock from Power Tool - What is tooo much? Tips on fixing this?

On Apr 25, 12:20*am, wrote:
I have a power tool that occasionally gives me a little tingle when I
touch it with an abraded area of skin or maybe the cuticles of my
fingers. *It doesn't shock my through dry skin.
I tested the device with a volt ohm meter and got a current....as did
just my body and a plant I tried on a whim.
How much leakage is too much?
What can I do to fix this problem?
I don't mind the "Shock" (it really isn't enough to even call it that)
but don't want the kids to find me dead on the floor one day
electrocuted.

I don't have a GFCI ( Y E T ) on the circuit but will put on one there
soon.
Suggestions on trouble shooting and fixing this problem?

Somewhere inside the case a hot wire is touching the case. I smiled,
as I thought back to the drill I used as a child. That drill would go
for weeks at a time just being a drill, then it would bite, and bite
hard, I couldn't just open my hand and let it drop, it would stick
fast with the electricity & sometimes shaking it off wouldn't even
work. I'm sure i was a comical sight dancing around with the drill
defying gravity off of my palm. I had no replacement, and it happened
infrequently, so I kept using it. Times were different, folks didn't
try to child proof everything. I can tell you it was much worse
barefoot, than wearing tennis shoes.