Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Detectron Geiger Counter

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:53:38 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Jeff Liebermann
writes
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:02:32 +0100, "N_Cook"
wrote:

Does USA "kludge" = UK "bodge" ?

I think so. Also sometimes spelled kluge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kludge

Be aware that, while "bodge" and "botch" tend to get used
interchangeably, "bodging" and "botching" are not the same thing.

A "bodger" is a skilled, itinerant wood worker.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodging

A "botcher" is someone who fakes doing a proper job of something.

If a kludge provides a functionally adequate (but inelegant) solution,
I'm not sure whether it is really a bodge or a botch.

Ok, I'm lost in the translation. However, it's good to know that the
Kings English has multiple names for what I do naturally when
confronted with a technical problem. Such multiple names are a sign
of sophistication and tends to identify what a society considers
important. For example, the Eskimo's have multiple names for
different types of snow. In Yiddish, we have multiple names for the
different types of "idiot". In government, there are multiple names
for the different types of taxation.

I'm sure something profound can be extracted from all this, but I
don't want to ruin a nice weekend by attempting to think.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D