Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone use Ichthammol ointment for removing slinter / sliver?

On Apr 25, 11:59*am, "steve robinson"
wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:
So I just bought some Ichthammol ointment to try and draw out a
particularly stubborn doug fir splinter that broke off somewhere
deep in the joint on my index finger. *I'm convinced it has gone
underneath a tendon or into the bone or something. *The finger is
pretty swollen. *Old wives tale says this salve works. *Any of you
old farts use this? *Looks and smells like roofing tar!

JP

Yes it does work , if its gone as deep as you say though you need
proper medical treatment

If it is in the joint, it must be removed surgically. If it is in
there too long the body's defense will encapsulate the foreign object
and make you suffer for a long, long time. BTDT. I had a nice piece of
oak splinter that accordioned itself into the joint of my right index
finger. The superficial part of it had snapped under the skin so I dug
it out but obviously didn't get it all. 4 Months later that joint
wouldn't even bend without a nice shot of pain. Off to our awful
medical system where I was handled that same afternoon, by an expert,
for free.