Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Shock from Power Tool - What is tooo much? Tips on fixing this?

wrote in message
I have a power tool that occasionally gives me a little tingle when I
touch it with an abraded area of skin or maybe the cuticles of my
fingers. It doesn't shock my through dry skin.
I tested the device with a volt ohm meter and got a current....as did
just my body and a plant I tried on a whim.
How much leakage is too much?

The accepable amount of current coming through the case and into your body
is zero.

What can I do to fix this problem?

You have a short circuit, that has to be fixed.

I don't mind the "Shock" (it really isn't enough to even call it that)
but don't want the kids to find me dead on the floor one day
electrocuted.

Good idea. Even if it is not the kids that find you dead on the floor,
fixing the problem now is a really great idea.

I don't have a GFCI ( Y E T ) on the circuit but will put on one there
soon.
Suggestions on trouble shooting and fixing this problem?

Two kinds of tools exist, those that have grounded cases and three prong
plugs, and those that are "double insulated.

The first type no part of the wires or any electrically "hot" conductor is
supposed to connect with the case of the tool, and if it does, then the
ground is supposed to carry the current back rather than your body.

The double insulated type of power tool has a plastic shell between you and
the wires inside.

Since you are getting zapped, you probably have the first type and there is
some internal short like a wire that the insulation is worn, or the switch
inside is broken. Split the case and inspect, or take the tool to the shop
for repair.

Also inspect the cord. If damaged it is possible that the leak is between
the hot and the ground and back feeding to the case of the tool.

You can buy GFIC extension cords also but that does not fix the problem.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.