Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default LED bulb: 17 Years, $50.00

In , z... wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 04:37:33 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

SNIP to here, even at risk of loss of track of who said what

FACT, 94-96 % of the power consumed by incandesants is
output as HEAT, not light you see or use.

No, dumbass, *ALL* of it is. Just as *ALL* of the output of CFLs is heat
(yes, less of it).

CFLs are 65-75% more efficent.

Whoopie!

FACT, 11, 100 w incandesants output the same heat as a 1000w
resistance heater.

Wow, another master of the obvious.

What's so bad about shifting home heating energy consumption from
the home lighting to something likely having greater cost effectiveness,
such as many home heating systems? Often, the home heating system
delivers more BTU per $ due to energy source being other than electricity.

Increasing energy efficiency of the home lighting also reduces cost of
any home air conditioning pumping out the heat from whatever lighting
needs to be used when A/C needs to be used (and in USA that is far above
zero).

FACT, for most of the US Ng is now about half the
price of Ng per BTU.

What *are* you yammering about?

That was typo-ed - the one who stated this appeared to me to be typo-ing
a claim that for most of US natural gas costs about half as much for home
heating as electricity does, possibly qualifiable for electric heat being
resistive as opposed to from a heat pump.

FACT, incandesants waste 75% more energy than Flourescents.

So what? That electricity is absolutely *trivial* compared to the heat pump,
water heater, oven, and plasma TV.

Not the water heater in any home owned by any homeowner I know,

Not most oven energy usage in the experience of my entire life,

And plasma TVs still only exist in a minority of homes even in mid-2010
due to high cost and after that high energy consumption per square foot of
screen area being second-worst second to CRT.

And it appears to me that electric heat pumps are disproportionately
used where electricity cost is below-average and/or where winters are
chilly to the particular extent where electric heat pumps are more
advantageous (as in requirement of major home heating while most of the
time during winter the outdoor temperature is low enough to require major
home heating but high/consistent enough to make an electric heat pump to
be the way to go, with consideration to local cost of electrical energy).

So keep heating your house this summer with
incandesants, and keep running that AC more to remove that heat your
incandesants enter in your home, just Keep a wastin and paying a
higher electric bill. Im laughing hard at this stupidity you two keep
posting.

Idiot. Light bulbs are *rarely* turned on in cooling season[*].

How about Philadelphia at 9 PM to 11 PM in most summer days? Or Memphis
or Houston or New Orleans for that matter?

That time of year has more light, though I can understand that the
blind can't see that.

[*] and when they are, I want light *now*, not in fifteen minutes because in
fifteen minutes they'll have been off for at least ten.

Every CFL in my home is close to fully warmed up in 1 minute or less.
Most of my home-use CFLs are almost fully warmed up in half a minute. My
bathroom is bright enough for me to use (or more-still) within 1 second
after I turn the switch on - when I dare. (At times I find the need to
take a leak when the fractional-watt LED nightlight there gives me all the
light I want and then-some.)

Also, do you believe that most people go to bed for the night as soon as
it gets dark even during cooling season? Especially at lower latitudes
where cooling needs are greater, sunset time varies less with time of
year, and where USA has population shift towards? Such as in/near Houston
or Phoenix?

- Don Klipstein )