Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED bulb: 17 Years, $50.00

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 22:37:15 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:36:32 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

ransley wrote in
:

snip

Dam what kind of Dumb ****s you and teger are, totaly stupid
ingnoramuses. FACT, 94-96 % of the power consumed by incandesants is
output as HEAT, not light you see or use.

But, as I keep pointing out (very politely, mind you), the primary
problem is that the /dollar values/ in question are very small,
regardless of what the percentages are.

That is the only percentage that matters. Ransley is a liar with his
50% *overall* savings with the only change being CFLs.

snip

Im laughing hard at this stupidity you two keep
posting.

You're not laughing, you're absolutely apoplectic with anger that I
choose not to agree with you, and wish instead to go my own way with
incandescents. You probably regard my viewpoint as horribly immoral.

That's the way with watermelons.

I just asked my wife (who does all the money stuff around here). She
says we pay about $150 a month for water/sewer/electricity, which come
combined on one bill. She's not sure about the exact breakdown without
actually checking, but I seem to remember that water and sewer were
about $50 last I looked. So electricity is likely about $100 a month.

Ours is about the same, glued together differently perhaps. In the Winter and
Summer it's higher (Summer a *lot* higher if I water the lawn), spring/fall
not so much.

So, now I must attempt to remove from the equation the
microwave,
stove,
both fridges,
the clothes washer,
clothes dryer,
computers,
TVs,
radios,
wife's hair dryer,
4' fluorescent lights in the basement,
and various other components that get used less frequently
than the above,
before I can determine how much electricity I'm actually wasting on the
incandescents, most of which are not in use for most of the day, even in
winter.

It's easer to add up the hours the lights are on.

Like I said, mine average minutes per day, with the only ones on for as much
as an hour are the ones in the bathroom (both getting ready in the morning).

Then I need to add a correction factor for those CFLs that would need to
stay burning all the time, to make sure they will supply immediate light
when needed, like the porch light.

Ouch. There go the savings.

Consideration of all this is how I come to the conclusion that CFLs are
not all they're cracked-up to be when it comes to saving money. They
probably do save money, but the amount saved is surely very, very small.

Yep. Be sure to stock up on light bulbs. I plan on having a lifetime supply
by the end of the year (500 ought to do it).