Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Of course my garbage disposal had to break THIS way

wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:19:39 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:54:49 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

wrote in message
news On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:21:48 -0500, "JimT" wrote:

wrote in message
news:1bg6t55oi4l4t6p36d56n36i6llks9getr@4ax. com...
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:44:57 -0500, "JimT"

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:00:32 -0500, "JimT"
wrote:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

I replaced ours last Fall and moved up to the $160 model from
Lowes. It is much quieter and does a much better job.

Uh, how can you tell it does a "better job" without inspecting
the, uh, you know...

The builder installed model would not eat a single onion skin.
Nor
could it handle more than one potato peeling.

This one makes very short work of onion skins or the peelings
from
3
pounds of potatoes.

I have not needed the plunger since I installed it.

Colbyt

Not trying to **** you off, but why would you put so much stuff
down
the GD? That stuff goes in the trash or compost.

Because I don't like rotting food sitting around the house. I
don't
like the smell or the pests.

http://www.epa.gov/ORD/NRMRL/pubs/625r00008/fs2.pdf

By dumping solids you're overloading your town's waste-water
treatment facilities or your septic system.

Nonsense.

I dissagree.

Just quickly scan the PDF doc.

I did.

sigh So I guess that's nonsense too.

What it said may be fine. What it didn't is another thing. Nothing
is
free,
as you lefties pretend.

Back in the 70s when I was still trying to
figure out what I wanted to major in, I took some waste-water
treatment
courses at NMSU. I changed my mind about my major but I did manage
learn
some things about the subject.

I put a small trash can with a lid by my backdoor for kitchen waste.
The
city comes by each week to pick it up for compost, but we pay a lot
for
garbage. It would be just as easy to throw it in a covered trash
can.

What has that to do with the price of oats in China? You pay a lot
for
garbage pick up, likely because you have union or government (or
both)
workers
picking it up. I paid a lot when I lived in the NE, too. Enough
that
it
was
cheaper to take it to the "dump" myself. It was still more
expensive
than
"full service" garbage collection is here. ...from the city, too.
You're
not
going to find that waste in your garbage can.

We pay a lot of taxes period.

Who's fault is that?

I live in a capital city so they find as many
excuses as they can to pick our pockets. The point I was making (not
very
well) is: I'd compost if they didn't pick it up. Austin is so stupid.
They
pick up all our recyclables and store them and then they have to pay
have
them taken away because they didn't tie the recyclers into a workable
contract. Of course we pay for their mistake. I swear my city utility
bill
goes up every month.

Replace them, or do what I did. Move.

Snip

I haven't been here long enough to vote in a council election.

We're planning on moving when we retire. Move down to Victoria and buy a
house bigger than the one were in for about 1/4 of the price. Use the
equity
for vacations and finish traveling the world. Austin is a beautiful
place
live and jobs here are plentiful. The housing market has yet to suffer
and
there is a lot of good here for upwardly mobile people. Not a good place
retire unless you like paying for everything under the sun. I honestly
wouldn't be surprised if we get a oxygen tax, which they are already, in
round-about way

We stayed in the NE until I retired, then beat feet as fast as we could.
The
NE is just *nuts*.

BTW: In regards to your last comment. It's not just about your system.
Do
some research. This isn't news. Common knowledge among people in the
industry.

Again, you only look at the part of the equation others decide is good
for
you.

I donno....If it's a conspiracy it's a damn good one. Ya think they are
artificially adding nitrates and phosphates into the waste-water so the
companies that sell chlorine can sell more to municipalities? Diabolical!

Now you've gone completely nutz.

That was pretty ridicules. Chlorine is used to remove pathogens not nitrates
or phosphates. As soon as a chemist reads this he's going to nail me.