Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Notebook freezing when connected to external power supply

Mike De Petris wrote:

On Apr 24, 8:30 pm, Jeffrey D Angus wrote:

Mike De Petris wrote:

no, I tried keeping the charged plugged into the notebook with mains
disconnected, and it works normally with battery, hang occurs as soon
as I connect the charger to the mains

Let me see if H ave this right.

With the charger plugged into the lap top, but NOT connected to
the mains, the laptop functions properly.

If you plug the power supply into the mains, the laptop goes
stupid and hangs up.

IF that's the case, I would suspect that something is wrong with
the charging supply. Such as the voltage is way high, causing the
laptop top get annoyed and hang up.

Have you measured the charger output with no load on it? (I.e.
not plugged into the laptop.)

I measured the voltage and it's normal, tried several chargers anyway

Its your power management drivers and GUI software that is a problem..
uninstall and install the original drivers from the CD's or web sight
for that laptop.

Since the unit seems to be locking, the driver software could be most
likely is the issue and maybe proprietary to that lap top

Things like this happen after a Windows update, unexpected error on
the HD, some one removed something they shouldn't of or, a
funny program is running on board..

It's possible a bad onboard support circuit but I doubt that
very much.

A simple test to prove this would be to boot to bias so the basics of
the machine is on and energize the charger to see if a lock takes
place there.
Next, boot into safe mode, and try the same thing.. If all is ok up
to this point. correct the software on board.

Have a good day.

P.S.
some Laptops have a partition on the HD that has special set up
software at boot time to configure the proprietary onboard chips..
This also could be an issue..