Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Weston Ron Weston is offline

Default Picture tube degaussing

I used my degaussing coil on the TV again today. This time I moved the
coil over the front, sides and top of the TV. There's still a tiny bit
of green in one corner (you have to look closely on a very light
screen to see it) and my friend is satisfied and didn't want me to try
the bulk eraser.

I'm afraid the degaussing circuit in the TV is not working. The green
spots got worse in the week since I first degaussed the set. My friend
is unwilling to give up her TV now so that I can repair it, but when
she goes on vacation this summer I will repair the set.

Thanks again for all the responses and advice. It's greatly
appreciated.

Ron Weston wrote:

Thanks for the replies so far. My friend is a senior citizen and lives
alone, so no children have been near the TV. There have been lightning
storms so that may be what caused her TV problem.

I have a bulk tape eraser. When I visit again first I'll try my
degaussing coil on the side of the TV as well as the front, and if
that doesn't work I'll try the eraser.

I'll report back what happens.