Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Of course my garbage disposal had to break THIS way

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 17:45:29 -0400, Colbyt wrote:
Where I used to live, we had two garbage cans, one for landfill stuff
and one for compostable - each was picked up on alternate weeks. Maybe
the OP has such a scheme running locally...

Thank God I don't live in your stinky community. I can only imagine how
skanky that garbage must smell.

Yeah, I remember when the scheme first came in (previously they used to
collect once a week, with no separation according to type) and there was
a huge outcry about how it was going to stink, and what a poor service it
was.

As it turns out, it really wasn't much of an issue - it was *slightly*
noticable at the end of the two weeks at the height of summer, but other
than that not a problem. My only worry was what would happen if there was
any problem with the system such that a pickup didn't happen though, as
then it'd be a month and that would probably be horrible! :-)

All our compostable waste goes on the compost pile here - recycleables go
to the drop-off point behind the nearby gas station whenever we need to
and happen to be passing anyway (we don't make special trips). All other
garbage we haul ourselves in the truck whenever we need to - usually
takes about 3 weeks to fill a 55 gal garbage can (and just costs about
$50/year in gas)

cheers

Jules