Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Lawn Question Re Moss Killer With: "Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid"

Tony wrote in
:

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Lawn is in reasonable shape, but areas of Moss. Live in New England.

Bought a container of a liquid Moss killer (goes on hose end)that has
as it's (only) active ingredient something called:
Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid".

Question: Is it safe if some of the spray gets on healthy grass ?

And would also like to ask:

Soil, via a ph test, showed that it is quite acidic.
If I put down the limestone granules, is this also safe on healthy
grass ?

Any caveats to it's use, etc. ?

Thanks,
B.

Hell, if it's green and doesn't need to be cut every week, I'll keep
it not kill it!

Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid.
This is the original "soap". You make it by boiling fat with potash.
The fat hydrolyzes, yielding fatty acids in their potassium salt form.
It's used in cleaning oneself, clothes, dishes, ec. The more modern
detergents mimick its properties, and sometimes improve them.

NOTE: Fatty acids, especially the saturated C18 stearic acid, are the
preferred fuel for mitochondria, the cells' powerplants. The heart is
especially fond of them as fuel. Moreover, candles are made of stearic
acid. So, for emergencies while camping, carry candles, the real ones.
If necessary you can light them, or eat them.

--
Best regards
Han