Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Ackman Steve Ackman is offline

Default small capable browser {was: Cox Communications drops Usenet

In , on Sat, 24 Apr 2010
05:51:33 -0700, Larry Jaques, lid wrote:

Netscape isn't really gone. It has just been transformed into the
vastly bloated new program Firefox. The trend sickens me. Firefox
takes up 100MB of memory just loading itself any more. Feh!

I run Pine on the FreeBSD machine while displaying it
on the Debian machine. When I "click" a link, the
browser also fires up on the FreeBSD machine but is
displayed on the Debian machine... so for that, I need
a small, fast, capable browser. These days, midori-0.2.2
is it. From the time I "click" until the time the
browser appears is just over a second. Compare with 8-9
seconds for Firefox 3.5.9

For my purposes, midori seems every bit as capable
as Firefox, (plays Pandora, for instance) yet fits into
a 613KB (source) tarball for FreeBSD, and a 601KB
(binary) .deb package for Debian.

The W$ version is a 7.3 MEGAbyte download...

http://www.twotoasts.de/index.php?/p...i_summary.html

--
˜¯˜¯