Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default looking to buy metal lathe price questions

G Martin wrote:
I'm in the market for an older american made metal lathe Logan South
Bend Atlas
Any info on pricing?
9" or 10" X 24"

Well, I'm in DFW.
A week ago I advertised a nice 9x17 Logan, QC gearbox, automatic apron,
very good condition, with bench, for $1200. I could have sold it 3 times.
It will be gone this afternoon.

There is a pristine Atlas 12" cabinet lathe in Dallas, like new,
well-tooled, with new taper attachment, not sold at $2500. I think it
could be bought for $1500, maybe less.

That's two local pricepoints that are pretty representative for this
area. Metal lathes sell quickly if they aren't junk

Nice American iron sells for over $1000 pretty easily.
Even the Atlas 618s can get over $800 if nice and well-tooled.
Southbends seem to command a premium, but I prefer the Logans for their
tapered-bearing headstocks.