Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Apply poly to drawer slides?

On 24 Apr 2010 03:06:06 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 23 Apr 2010 15:08:56 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com scrawled the following:

*trim and snip*

Just wait until you get to paints. Some of them are worse than
polyurethane ever thought of being!

Uh, please 'splain this to me.

--
...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should
not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.

I got some Rustoleum external door paint. That stuff is nasty. The
smell is horrid, and the off gassing chemicals gave me a headache.
That's after using it in a reasonably well ventilated area (garshop with
the windows open) and only applying a little bit.

When I was painting the interior of the back house my client and I are
fixing up, he was painting the trim with Rustoleum. Talk about
solvent fumes! That stuff really is nasty. The tenants moved in 6
weeks later and the place still reeked of the Rustoleum.

The poly doesn't smell too bad, and can stand being applied in the garage
with the windows open. Some of the smell can be killed by lighting a
candle (but not too close to the work area!)

Right. Can you say BABOOM! ? I knew you could. 'Course, a candle
next to the Rustoleum might do it some good. Burn out the odor, wot?

I'll open and use the poly again, but not the paint.

Gotcha, but why use either? (rhetorical question) /anti-poly rant