Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B. Slocomb John B. Slocomb is offline

Default Big hole, little press

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 00:23:28 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Bill Noble wrote:
DON"T do it that way - you will be VERY unhappy - get yourself a
decent bimetal hole saw of the proper diameter and use that - it will
take less power, it will make round holes, and you will not kill
yourself - use some cutting fluid

Ah, thanks Bill, I hadn't considered using a bimetal hole saw.

Do you think my 1/4 horsepower drill press has enough horse to turn a one
inch bimetal hole saw through 1/8" mild steel?

Thanks again,

Jon

I've got a drill press, probably the same size as you, although I
built second set of belt sheaves to reduce the speed but I have cut 2
inch holes in aluminum plate with no problems. Takes a while but gets
it done.

The secret is a sharp hole saw and light feed pressure. and a lot of
oil :-)

John B. Slocomb
(johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)