Toller

Default buying a dust collector

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:50:30 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I've had a Penn State dust collector for about a month now. It really
doesn't do as much as I expected.
It is great on my router table, but does very little for the contractors
saw, miter saw, or sanding. Had I realized this, I don't think I would

have
bought one; as a shop vac wasn't too bad on the router table either.

If anyone has advice on how to make it more effective, I am all ears

(eyes,
whatever...).

What's the HP? I've got a 1.5 HP and now wish I had a 2HP, although
with no more noise. Mine picks up well, except when a chunk of wood
gets clogged in a bend (and don't realize it). Clear tubing is nice,
though much more $. I have a cyclone garbage can (that I designed)
that catches 90% of the dust before it reaches the DC.

It is 1.5HP. There is plenty of power, but the miter saw and table saw are
both so wide open then I don't get any real grip on the dust. The router is
all enclosed, so it is more than adequate. I don't think a 2hp would be
much better; the trick is to figure out how to enclose them better.
Or so it seems to me; maybe I am missing something.