Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Apply poly to drawer slides?

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 23 Apr 2010 15:08:56 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com scrawled the following:

*trim and snip*

Just wait until you get to paints. Some of them are worse than
polyurethane ever thought of being!

Uh, please 'splain this to me.

--
...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should
not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work.

I got some Rustoleum external door paint. That stuff is nasty. The
smell is horrid, and the off gassing chemicals gave me a headache.
That's after using it in a reasonably well ventilated area (garshop with
the windows open) and only applying a little bit.

The poly doesn't smell too bad, and can stand being applied in the garage
with the windows open. Some of the smell can be killed by lighting a
candle (but not too close to the work area!)

I'll open and use the poly again, but not the paint.

Puckdropper