Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_3_] Jon Danniken[_3_] is offline

Default Big hole, little press

Howdy,

I am building a half-rack squat rack for weightlifting. For a conceptual
reference, here is a picture of one particular commercially available unit:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2e3rcdc.jpg

For my version, I am using 3"x3" square steel tubing with an 11 gauge
(~1/8") wall thickness. The vertical members will be drilled through in a
couple dozen locations (for mounting the bar holders and safeties to), each
to a diameter of one inch.

And therein lies my issue.

My drill press is a small bench mount Delta, with a 1/4hp motor, two inch
plunge depth, and a 1/2 inch chuck. My first thought is to use a Silver and
Demming (reduced shank) drill bit, 1/2" shank, 1" drill.

The plan is to set it up outside, build a sturdy dowelled jig for locating
purposes, and use water as coolant. I will drill through one side, then flip
it over to drill the other side.

I come to you here today for a reality check. While I realize that this it
will take awhile, this being a one-off project means I am okay with it
taking several days to complete the drilling cycle.

My main concern, then, is this: am I out of my tree to consider drilling one
inch holes in 1/8" material with a 1/4 horsepower drill press?

Thank you for any and all perspectives you would be so kind as to convey to
me,

Jon