Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Mini drill press for kids

On 2010-04-23, Ignoramus10488 wrote:
My older son will turn 9 soon and we are thinking of some present that
is mechanically related. We bought a drill press type of holder for a
Dremel tool. At first I thought that it was a mistake and I would be
better off looking for a small, low power drill press. But after
looking for such a press, I realized that they are not suitable for
kids, due to belt drive and too much power. The high speed presses
seem dangerous to eyes. (though he knows to wear eue protection, he
could forget).

I've got one very nice one -- with only a 1/8" chuck (Albrecht
keyless) -- but it has a belt drive. The later versions of it now have
a full cover over the belt.

Unfortunately, while mine cost me $150.00 back around 1973 or
so, they have since fallen in love with them and are asking around
$800.00 last time I checked. These are the "Cameron Micro Precision"
sensitive drill presses. While it is small, it is really a tool for a
serious adult, not a kid.

So, I guess my question is, are there little drill presses that could
drill up to 1/4 and would be kid friendly, available.

What I would suggest (if they are still made) is a 1/4" hand
held electric drill and the adaptor stand which makes it into a drill
press. Typically, there is some slop so the bit can wander from side to
side a bit, but it still is good enough for a lot of things.

They often are made only to work with the same brand of hand
held electric drill.

Here is an example of one which claims to be "universal" on
eBay.

370368985838

Here is another, which looks as though it is designed for an
electric drill with a cylindrical section right behind the chuck, again
will not fit all hand held electric drills:

370369050576

This next one is quite similar to the one which I used before I
could get a real drill press (but it is a lot grungier):

300419545394

This one at least lists the electric drills which it was made to
work with:

290427723546

O.K. *This* is the one which I used all those years ago
(starting in about 1957 or 1958 IIRC):

290427047596

It could be improved by making two more feed arms and drilling and
tapping for them at 120 degree intervals around the collar. You'll need
ball handles for the ends, too.

The search string was simply "drill press stand", and I had to
skip over a bunch of ones for Dremels and other such.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564